I think dating in marriage is so important. Matt and I have a tradition of date night each Wednesday. We definitely plan on continuing this tradition after we are married. We both get very busy with volunteering, happy hours, late work nights and social activities, but Wednesdays is reserved just for us. Mid-week works great for us because its a break in the middle of the work week, and usually all the cool restaurants are less busy. Even if we don’t go out its an evening spent together.
An excerpt from ForYourMarriage.org explains why dating is so important to your marriage. I would encourage you to check out the whole article. Dating is important at any phase of a relationship. It helps us connect and communicate and keep the spark alive!
Remember that initial feeling of falling in love? Dating is the way to keep that feeling alive and fall in love over and over again. many times the work “date” conjures up ideas of over-priced dinners and fancy activities. And I am here to say dating doesn’t have to be like that to still get the benefits of dating.
Top 10 Date Night ideas
If you are struggling with ideas here are our top 10 favorites:
- Concert – check smaller local venues for upcoming shows
- Learn Something New – Take lessons – consider tennis, sailing, dancing, or golf
- Trendy restaurant – try that new place you have been dying to go, if we are tight on our budget we do drinks and apps
- Brewery or Winery – expand your palate and try out some new drinks
- Local activities – find out what is going on in your community, last date night we went to a lake party at the local marina
- Theme night – pick a move and make theme food / drinks (this is a good one to celebrate the end of a TV series binge)
- Travel planning – one of our favorite things to do is travel (who doesn’t love traveling?) planning and talking about trips makes a great date night
- Shopping – shop for new outfits together, especially if you have a big event coming up
- Order in – Ordering in is great, no one has to cook or clean
- Start a quest – Matt and I are currently on the hunt for the best pizza in Denver (so far we think Gimaldi’s) but any time we are looking for something to do, we can continue our quest.
At our engagement party. Stacy organized an adorable Date Night jar. The guests all gave us their favorite date night idea, and we always have that to pull from if need an idea.
Of course having kids makes scheduling of date nights a little more difficult, but the benefits are sweeter. I don’t have kids, but I anticipate having alone time with Matt will be even more important when we do have kids. We try to watch our nieces once a month, and I think family is very willing to help if you ask. You might also consider organizing a childcare swap with other couple.